Thursday, July 23, 2009

354 Days until the Big 50

Late Night, Last Minute but had to make sure I did not skip another day….

I am very tired right now which makes it difficult to write. It is 11:00 p.m. and both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are over. I was at a fundraiser for the Illinois Holocaust Museum. My father was a survivor. Most of his family was killed, but he and his younger sister survived. He survived in a Gulag in Siberia after running away from his home in Poland before the Nazis got there. My aunt, my grandparents, and my uncle ended up in Auschwitz.

After the war my aunt came to the United States and was able to bring my father here two years later. My father married an American born woman. That is why I always say I am from a mixed marriage. Even though they were both Jewish, one was born in Europe and one was born here. That might as well have been from different planets. Their union resulted in three children. I am the third. I guess that makes me the end of their story.

I will write more on this topic tomorrow. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment