Friday, February 24, 2012

Sonnets In Questions?

My 15 and 3/4 years old son is a sophomore in high school and his literature class (what we called "English" in my day) is studying Julius Caesar. Recently, one of his assignments was to write a sonnet. Of course, he was going to wait until the night before. Did I mention how old he is? I told him he could not write a quality sonnet in such a short time. Then I realized he had no concerns regarding quality. I decided to write a sonnet and share it with him. First I had to read "Sonnets for Dummies" in order to know how to write a sonnet. Then I needed to place the rhyming scheme required on the page so I would be following all the rules. It took me about 5 hours to write my sonnet. My son wrote his in 10 minutes. He would never allow me to share his work, but I thought mine came out okay and here it is.



Soulful sounds sing out from his black guitar.

His homework lays untouched beneath his bed.

Escaping notes rise to a falling star.

A sonnet slowly forming in his head

Magically music takes form in words

Parents pray he will complete it on time

Accompaniment provided by birds

The difficult thing is to work in rhyme.

The answer must be a video game.

Call of Duty starring William Shakespeare?

Associate violence with his name?

After all he’s the man who wrote King Lear!

Will the sonnet be done on time or late?

Are these questions of desire or of fate?

1 comment:

  1. That would be very important aspect to consider. And everyone has the right to know it.

    maids slc

    ReplyDelete